The post office building at 1634 Pasadena dates before 1865. Before this post office, the service was located at Cary Academy and Strong’s store and was operated by Alanson and Jsiah Grant.
Students came to Farmers’ College and Ohio Female College From all over the state and from many surrounding states and often wrote letters home. Some of these letters which would have been sent from this post office has been identified as well as correspondence from abolitionists Jonathan Cable and the Wilsons.
The first postmaster for this two story building probably was Edward DeSerisy, Jr. (1853-1876). The second store overhangs the first for ease in loading mailbags onto the roof of the coach used for mail delivery.
Pleasant Hill Post Office
Alanson Grant Sept. 4, 1837 discontinued Aug. 7, 1838
Zebulon Strong March 30, 1842
Name changed to Carey’s Academy April 13, 1842
Zebulon Strong April 13, 1842
Name changed to College Hill Dec. 18, 1849
Isaiah Grant July 19, 1850 (name should be Josiah)
James S. Cooke June 30, 1852
Edward De Serisy, Jr. Nov. 8, 1853
Mrs. Mary McGroarty Jan. 26, 1876
Source: photocopy of records from archives, Washington D.C., Hamilton County 1837-1892