Charles Cheney Way on Hamilton Avenue in Mt. Healthy honored local abolitionist
In 1999 the Mt. Healthy City Council renamed a portion of Hamilton Avenue at Compton Road to commemorate Charles Cheney, who lived in Mt. Healthy (then Mt. Pleasant) from 1835-1847 or 1848. He was twice a candidate of the antislavery Liberty Party for state office. In later years his son Frank Woodbridge Cheney recounted Charles’ activity as a “conductor” on the Underground Railroad. (See the entry in People for more about Charles Cheney.)
The green brick building to the right was from 1845-1849 the home of Dr. John Witherspoon Scott (see entry in People). Local lore is that his home was a stop for Freedom seekers, or fugitive slaves, who were given overnight lodging there, and in the morning were fed and provisioned for their journey by members of the free African American community in Mt. Healthy.